This decadent Caramelized Shallot and Chive Dip is what your childhood dreams are made of!
This recipe uses tangy labneh (yogurt cheese) as its base. It’s readily available in many mainstream grocery stores but definitely at European or Middle Eastern shops. If you want to make it from scratch, I would love it if you tried my Homemade Labneh Recipe; it’s the epitome of easy. You simply leave whole milk yogurt to strain in cheesecloth for 24 hours. The more whey you remove by straining, the thicker your labneh will be. Click HERE for my Labneh Recipe.
You can absolutely serve this with veggies for a healthier option, but it’s a chip kind of night over here! I suggest opting for a ridged or kettle chip, something that can hold up to this thicker dip.
Caramelized Shallot and Chive Dip
- 1 skillet thick bottomed
- 1 ¼ cup Labneh room temperature
- 2 cups shallots peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup fresh chives finely diced
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce Lea & Perrins reigns supreme
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a thick bottomed pan heat butter and olive oil over medium high heat, until the pan is coated and butter/olive oil mixture is simmering. Add the sliced shallots and stir to coat the shallots in oil.
- Reduce heat to medium or medium low (depending on your stove), to prevent the shallots from burning or drying out. Spread the shallots out evenly in the pan, letting them cook, stirring occasionally.
- After about 8 minutes, sprinkle sugar and a pinch of salt over the shallots. Continue to cook the shallots on low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring every few minutes. The idea is, you want to leave them alone long enough to brown, but not long enough to let them burn. The more you do this, the more you'll get a feel for it.
- Deglaze the pan by adding 2 tablespoons of white wine, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. This will add a tremendous amount of flavor to your shallots. Once the liquid has evaporated, remove the pan from heat.
- In a large bowl combine: labneh, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, caramelized shallots and diced chives. Mix well, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in a shallow bowl and garnish with a generous sprinkle of sliced chives.