If I see tuna sashimi, tartare, or tataki on a menu; you better believe I’m ordering it!
I miss the pre-covid days where I could visit my local wine bar and enjoy a glass of vino with some spicy tuna tartare. Indoor dining is still not a thing in San Francisco and I’ve been craving this like nobody’s business! My only option was to take matters into my own hands and do the damn thang!
Marinated Spicy Tuna with Cucumber Salad
- 1 sushi/sashimi knife or an extremely sharp knife
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 large bowl
- ½ lb sashimi grade tuna
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or aminos
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp chili sauce like sriracha or Hungarian Eros Pista
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ½ cup Persian cucumbers may sub seeded English cucumber; small dice
- 1 tbsp red onion
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 3 scallions you're going to make these into curls
- ¼ tsp toasted black sesame seeds
- lime for serving
- ½ avocado sliced
- tortilla chips optional
- Whisk together soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, chili sauce, and lime juice. Set aside.
- Cut the tuna into very thin slices and transfer to a shallow bowl. Pour the marinade overtop and carefully flip the tuna (using tongs) until well coated in the marinade. Cover and place in the fridge while we make the spring onion curls.
- Cut the spring onions into sections (I do 3″ sections), and cut very thinly lengthwise. The thinner your cut, the curlier they will be. Play around with this and you’ll be a pro after a few times. You’ll probably switch up the cut depending on the dish and what look you’re going for. Place in a bowl of iced water and swirl it around to make sure they’re all submerged. Set aside for 7 minutes while we get the cucumber salad together.
- In a small bowl mix cucumber, red onion, rice vinegar, cilantro, and salt. Set aside.
- Remove the spring onion curls from the iced bath and dry with paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
- Remove the marinated tuna from the fridge and arrange on a large plate. Spoon cucumber salad over the tuna and top with spring onion curls. Top with a spoonful of the spicy marinade and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Arrange the sliced avocado alongside the tuna. Don’t forget the lime wedge!