Let’s get baked! These Mediterranean Chicken Wings are marinated in buttermilk, seasoned with the bright Mediterranean flavors we love, and baked to crispy perfection! You won’t miss the deep-fried wings after giving these a try!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN WINGS
- dill pickle juice
- tabasco sauce
- lemon juice
- smoked paprika
- dried oregano
- dried dill
- dried mint
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- black pepper
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE FETA & MINT DIP
- Greek yogurt
- fresh mint
- lemon juice
This dip is creamy, light, and refreshing. It’s perfectly dunkable and more than just an afterthought for your chicken wings. To make, simply pulse in a food processor until smooth.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO MARINATE THE CHICKEN WINGS?
The acidity, enzymes, and cultures in buttermilk, dill pickle juice, hot sauce, and lemon juice help to break down the proteins and tenderize the meat. The breaking down of the tissue also causes the chicken to absorb more liquid, making it juicier.
HOW LONG SHOULD I MARINATE THE CHICKEN WINGS?
I would suggest marinating the chicken wings for a minimum of 6 hours and a maximum of 24 hours.
If you’re planning on having them in the afternoon or evening, I would toss them in the marinade in the morning and they will be good to go! The dry and wet marinades only take a couple of minutes to pull together.
If you’re using frozen chicken wings, make sure you remember to take them out of the freezer the night before.
IF YOU LIKE MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN WINGS, YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Mediterranean Chicken Wings
- 1 large bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 1 whisk
- measuring spoons
- measuring cups
- 1 baking sheet
- 1 wire baking rack
- pair of tongs
- food processor
- 2 lb chicken wings may use up to 3 lb
- 2 tbsp dried oregano see notes
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried dill
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tbsp dill pickle juice
- 2 tbsp tabasco
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 150 g feta from a block, not crumbled
- 150 g whole milk Greek yogurt ⅔ cup; see notes
- ⅓ cup fresh mint packed
- 50 g cucumber about ½ a Persian cucumber, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- In a small bowl, add all ingredients for the dry marinade; mix to combine. Divide into two equal parts. Store 1 part in the pantry until you're ready to bake the chicken wings.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the wet marinade.
- Add half of the dry marinade to the wet marinade, while whisking constantly, until incorporated.
- Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel. Add the chicken wings to the marinade and toss to coat. Make sure all of the wings are submerged. Cover; place in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours up until 24 hours.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add feta (broken into chunks using your hands), Greek yogurt, mint, cucumber, lemon juice and salt; pulse until smooth. Taste, adjust seasoning as needed. Cover and place in the fridge until the wings are finished cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with tinfoil. Set a wire rack on top of the baking sheet.
- Remove the chicken wings from the fridge. Using tongs, transfer the wings one by one to the wire rack, shaking off any excess marinade.
- Sprinkle ½ of the remaining spice mix onto the chicken wings. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the oven. Flip the wings using tongs and then sprinkle with remaining spice mix. Return to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven when nice and crispy! Serve with feta and mint dip.