Croutons can be enjoyed as a snack, in salads, or as a soup topper. You can also make your own breadcrumbs in a pinch by tossing croutons in the food processor. Homemade breadcrumbs will instantly elevate your meatballs or pastas; the flavor and crunch are simply unmatchable!
- 1 large bowl
- 1 large baking sheet
- 1 wooden spoon
- 8 cups diced bread bread of choice, cut into 1-1 ½ inch cubes; ideally bread would be 1 or 2 days old
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil basil, lemon, garlic, rosemary, chili, habanero; whatever kind you want
- 2 tsp seasoning of choice here's your license to experiment; this batch used Stonehouse Olive Oil Napa Valley Blend
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and set a rack to the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up; set aside.
- Add the bread to a bowl large enough to toss with extra-virgin olive oil and seasonings. Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil overtop of the bread, followed by the seasoning blend of your choice, and sea salt; toss gently until well-combined.
- Spread the bread into a single layer on the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Flip the breadcrumbs at the 10 minute mark. Keep in mind cook-times will vary depending on the size of the cubes, keep this in mind to avoid burning.
- Remove from the oven and allow croutons to cool completely. Enjoy right away, or store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.