These Baked Meatballs with Fresh Herbs seriously take the cake!
I was planning on making Italian Wedding Soup but my husband basically forgot to pick up a few critical ingredients so here we are!
Instead of getting pissed, I made meatballs, and Rez lived to see another day. Maybe this was his plan all along because he’s a soup for dinner hater?! If so, well played man.
Baked Meatballs with Fresh Herbs
- 1 large bowl
- 1 large baking sheet
- 1 wire baking rack
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage loose or casings removed
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- ½ cup fresh chives chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup coarse breadcrumbs homemade are ideal
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- olive oil cooking spray so the meatballs don't stick to the rack
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; mix using clean hands. Take care not to overmix because this will result in dense and tough meatballs.
- If you can, let the mix chill in the fridge for 1 hour before rolling the balls out. If not, no biggie, they'll still taste great!
- Preheat the oven to 425° F and set a rack to the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set a baking/cooling rack on top.
- Spray the baking rack with some kind of oil to prevent any sticking (I used an olive oil spray). Roll mixture into 1 ¼" balls and place on the baking rack as you go. This recipe yielded 30 meatballs for me.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through (internal temperature measuring 160° F).