Middle Eastern Pickled Turnips are an absolute must in my house! My favorite pickle of ALL the pickles. Yep, I said what I said; they’re that good.
Pickled Turnips are vinegary, have just a slight hint of heat, and are completely addicting! If you’re a fan of gyros, falafel, and kebabs, there’s a 99.9% chance you’ve had these.
PICKLING YOUR OWN VEGGIES SAVES MAD MONEY!
I swear I was holding a dill pickle when my mom birthed me. I joke that I started pickling out of necessity. The pickle obsession was manageable as a single person but then I met my match.
My husband eats pickles and olives like they’re a main food group and the costs were getting out of control! Sure, I love my bougie Farmers’ market pickles as much as the next person, but my husband could crush one of those $14 jars during a brunch alone.
Once you buy a few large pickling jars, a big jug of white vinegar, and kosher salt; you’re pretty much covered! Just buy whatever vegetables you wish to pickle and any herbs/spices you want to add. It’s sooooooooooo much less expensive!
LOOKING FOR A DIFFERENT HOSTESS GIFT IDEA?
In my opinion, homemade consumables are a thoughtful, delicious, and original small gift idea. Not everyone drinks wine but I’m convinced that everyone loves pickles! Homemade pickles are your new gift-giving best friend!
NOT SURE WHAT TO SERVE THESE PICKLED TURNIPS WITH? I SPY SOME TASTY OPTIONS BELOW!
Middle Eastern Pickled Turnips
- 1 medium pot
- 1 large mason or pickle jar
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup kosher salt MUST BE KOSHER SALT. Do not use table salt or sea salt.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 lbs turnips peeled and cut into 1/2″ thick batons
- 1 beet small beet; cut into 1/2" thick batons
- 2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- In a medium sized pot, add the water, Kosher salt, and bay leaves. Heat on medium-high heat, stirring until salt is completely dissolved, about 3-5 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then stir in the vinegar.
- In a large container with a tight-fitting lid, add your turnips and beets, then add the garlic on top.
- Pour the liquid over the turnips into the container.
- Let sit in the fridge for 5-7 days.