This flavorful marinade is made up of ingredients you probably already have.
I made it again just yesterday and am having leftovers for dinner tonight. It’s a great substitution for the real deal!
Greek Chicken Gyro Meat
This flavorful marinade is made up of ingredients you probably already have. It's a great substitution for the real deal!
- 1 large bowl
- 1 large skillet heavy-bottomed
- 1 pair of tongs
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts or thighs boneless skinless; cut into thin slices
- 3 tbsp whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl (except chicken), and whisk until combined.
- Add the chicken, and mix until the chicken is coated in marinade. Cover the bowl with a tight fitting lid and put it in the fridge for 3-24 hours, 12 hours being ideal.
- Place 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Remove the chicken from marinade and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer the cooked chicken onto a plate. Cover loosely with foil and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
I served this with basmati rice with lemon, sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, diced red + green bell pepper, slivers of red onion, crumbled feta, pickled vegetables, fresh minced dill and fresh mint leaves. This is gyro chicken is also great in a wrap!