Northern California Farmers Markets are bursting with beautiful fairytale eggplants and zucchini right now, and I’m here for it!!
When we’re in Albania, I order a side of grilled vegetables with EVERYTHING. Aside from ordering a glass of vino (I am who I am), ordering ‘perime zgare’ was the first thing I learned to ask for in Albanian. More often than not, I serve grilled vegetables with tzatziki. Jump to my recipe HERE!
Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini
- 1 large baking sheet
- 1 Grill pan or grill or grill
- 1 clean kitchen towel
- 1 basting/pastry brush
- 1 pair of tongs
- 1 lb zucchini thickly sliced
- 1 lb eggplant thickly sliced
- 2 extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp dried oregano for garnish
- Slice your eggplant and zucchini into 1 inch slices and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle a little kosher salt (about 1/2 tsp) over the veggies, let them sit for 30 minutes, and then pat dry with a clean kitchen towel. It's important you remember to salt the eggplant and zucchini, because this helps to draw out the moisture and bitterness.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush one side of the sliced veggies with a little olive oil and a light sprinkling of salt.
- Brush grill pan with vegetable oil. Place sliced veggies on grill, oiled side down. Let the veggies cook for 5 minutes without moving them. You want those pretty grill marks!
- Flip veggies and brush the dry side with olive oil and another light sprinkling of salt. Let them cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter and finish with a dusting of dried oregano.
- Enjoy hot or at room temperature. Serve alongside Tzatziki for ultimate pleasure!