Grilled Halloumi with Strawberry Salsa
Salty Halloumi plays nicely with sweet strawberries and fresh mint! This strawberry salsa is great solo with tortilla chips or added to your favorite salad bowl.
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 basting/pastry brush
- 1 Grill pan or grill
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 8.8 oz halloumi cheese sliced into 6 uniform pieces; about 1/2 " slices
- ¾ lb strawberries hulled and diced
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 2 tsp honey
- kosher salt
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeds and ribs removed; finely diced
- ½ red onion finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh mint chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together zest, lime juice, honey, and salt. Stir in the jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, mint, and strawberries. Add pepper, to taste; mix well. Not all strawberries are created equal, so you may have to adjust the seasoning. Add a little more honey for sweetness, lime for acidity, salt for savory, jalapeño for spice etc.
- Cover and pop in the fridge until the Halloumi is ready to go.
- Brush the slices of Halloumi with olive oil. Heat your grill pan over medium high heat and grill the cheese for 2-2½ minutes each side, until the grill marks form. Don't move your cheese too much when it's on the grill or you won't achieve the grill marks.
- Top the sliced grilled Halloumi with strawberry salsa and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
This Strawberry Salsa is also delicious with tortilla chips! It will keep in the fridge for 3 days.