An easy, practical, and thoughtful host/hostess gift for the holiday season.
With the holiday season now in full swing, it’s time to start thinking about what we’ll bring along to dinners and parties.
I’m a HUGE fan of homemade and consumable gifts! Not only are they practical and economical, they’re also zero-waste (helluuu reusable glass jar), and are a chance to show off your personality while gifting something unique.
Entertaining for the holidays can be stressful and hectic, so I love the idea of gifting something people can actually use and will make their life just a little bit easier. This Marinated Feta is something people can serve on their charcuterie board when unexpected company shows up at their door.
I order a flat of these 16oz jars on amazon so I’m ready to make a bunch at the same time.
This recipe is highly flexible and customizable. Add whatever herbs and infused oils you wish; there are no rules! But I strongly suggest breaking out the good stuff, like Stonehouse Olive Oil. I used a basil extra-virgin olive oil for this recipe. It’s my favorite!
I’m taking the liberty to customize this gift to my friends’ preferences. My girlfriend who likes spicy things will get one with hot chili extra-virgin olive oil and roasted garlic, while her husband will get one with lemon extra-virgin olive oil, dill, and oregano. No stress and literally impossible to screw up.
- 1 16 oz wide-mouth airtight glass jar
- 1 paring knife
- 175 g feta cut into 1'' cubes
- 2 garlic cloves skin removed
- 1 bay leaf two if they're small
- 1 lemon two slices
- fresh rosemary one sprig; may sub other herbs, like thyme, oregano, dill, marjoram, or tarragon
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- extra-virgin olive oil enough to cover the feta; feel free to use infused oils like basil, garlic, lemon, lime, or chili
- Transfer cubed feta into the jar. Add bay leave(s), garlic cloves, lemon slices, rosemary sprig, and red chili flakes to the jar along with the feta. Pour the extra-virgin olive oil overtop until the feta is just covered.
- Close the airtight lid and place in the fridge until you're ready to consume, or take along to your next holiday gathering as a gift for the host.
- Bring the jar of marinated feta to room temperature before serving. Olive oil will solidify in the fridge. Don't worry, this is normal! Enjoy as an addition to salads, on bread, or as the star of your charcuterie board!