This Golden Beet Salad with Feta and Basil will help keep you cool all summer long! Beets are high in fiber, help regulate blood sugar and lower cholesterol, and may improve brain function (among other things). I love beets in all shapes and forms; raw, roasted, and in this case, steamed!
Golden Beet Salad with Feta and Basil
- 1 Pot with steamer insert or steamer
- 1 vegetable peeler
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 large bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 ½ lb golden beets peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar may sub champagne or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp whole-grain mustard may sub Dijon
- 2 tbsp shallots finely diced
- 1 tbsp honey
- kosher salt to taste
- ½ cup fresh basil chopped or chiffonade
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled using clean hands
- Fill a pot with a couple of inches of water and add steamer insert. Add cut golden beets to the basket and cover; steam until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a large glass bowl and let the beets cool off on the counter for a good 15 minutes. Once cooled, cover, and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add finely diced shallots, extra-virgin olive oil, cider vinegar, whole-grain mustard, honey, kosher salt; whisk until well-combined.
- Remove the chilled beets from the fridge. Add crumbled feta, chopped basil, and the vinaigrette; mix to combine. Season to taste.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve!