Halloumi and Watermelon Salad with Mint & Cilantro Pesto
The epitome of a summer salad or appetizer! Salty pan-fried Halloumi cheese, sweet and refreshing watermelon, tied together with bright mint & cilantro pesto; Heaven on earth!
- 1 large non-stick skillet
- 1 basting/pastry brush
- 1 food processor
- 1 silicone spatula
- 1 sharp knife to cut the watermelon
Mint & Cilantro Pesto
- 2 tbsp unsalted pistachios
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup fresh mint packed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro packed, small stems okay
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅛ cup cucumber juice/drippings sub a good 2 inch chunk of cucumber
- 1 lemon zest of ½ lemon
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz halloumi cheese sliced into 6 even pieces
- 12 oz watermelon sliced into whatever shape or size you prefer
- Add pistachios, garlic, mint, cilantro, cucumber liquid, lemon zest, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of black pepper to a bowl of a food processor. Pulse for 20 seconds or so and then wipe down the sides with a silicone spatula.
- With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the extra-virgin olive oil; blend until smooth.
- Brushed the slices of Halloumi with a little extra-virgin olive oil then fry in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Pan fry for 2 minutes on the first side and 1 on the other.
- Arrange on a plate and serve with the Mint Pesto. I put some of the pesto directly on the plate but we served extra table-side.
You will likely have some Pesto leftover, that doesn’t mean it will last long! Serve leftover Pesto alongside grilled or roasted chicken, mix into rice, with roasted vegetables; the options are truly endless!